Out of the Cold
Mission Statement: "To provide a safe, secure and warm environment
where guests can eat, sleep and hear the Good News of Jesus Christ through our love
in action, attitude and words"
About Our Program:
- OOTC is a volunteer-based, city-wide program, that was first started in 1989 by Sister Susan
Moran, Father John Murphy, and Rev. Canon John Erb
- It runs during the winter months, from December to March each year.
- Our site at CGC is open on Thursday nights, extending to Friday mornings.
- The aim is to feed an average of 50 guests and sleep 15 every Thursday night.
- We generally have between 70-100 volunteers involved over four shifts, with additional
volunteers for food preparation.
- Set-up (5:00 pm) - Setting up the dining and kitchen areas, ensuring that the areas
are clean and ready for use by our guests and volunteers.
- Intake (5:30 pm) - Greeting guests as they enter, providing house rules and determining
who will be staying overnight.
- Dinner (6:00 pm) - Serving dinner to the guests, and general kitchen clean-up.
- Social (8:00 pm) - A time of interaction and conversation with the guests; during this
time, a bible study is held that is open to all who are interested.
- Breakfast (6:00 am, Friday) - Cooking and serving breakfast for the overnight guests,
and general clean-up.
If anyone is interested in volunteering, or finding our more information about the Out of the Cold
Program, please contact email@example.com.